Friday, October 31, 2014


MEDITATION

There are a lot of things about high school that I have forgotten about over the last decade.  However, I do remember in my sophomore year, when the electricity went out in one class period.  The school had very few windows and the classroom I was in was completely dark and there was only a light coming in from the emergency lights in the hallway.  My teacher told us all to close our eyes and she started to describe us flowing down a river.  She was leading us in a meditation, something I had never experienced prior to this day. I tend to get anxious about life and worry about the future and past too much, while I should be focused on the present.   I remember feeling very peaceful and this was a soothing experience. Part of me was a little upset when the journey down the river was interrupted. The loud speaker came on announcing classes were canceled for the rest of the day, which was also great.

Ever since that day I have been interested in meditation and have tried to do it myself through books.  However, I have never maintained it and practiced it enough to feel the full benefits.  So I came across this “Life Class” that Oprah is offering free and through her website (https://chopracentermeditation.com/home/?acode=oprah). I have often wanted to take a class, but I have not been able to find the time or money, so I am going to take this opportunity to try something I always wanted to pursue.  It is a 21 day-meditation experience.  It is being lead by Deepak Chopra, an Indian-American author, physician, and well-known leader in holistic health movement.   The 21-day process starts this Monday on November 3rd, and I plan to log some short thought after each session and after the three-week process I will share them with you all.  If you are interested in meditation, I invite you to join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment