Friday, November 21, 2014




FIVE TIPS TO HELP YOU FIND A JOB:
When Ashley, asked me about my upcoming post and I told her I was giving job advice, she doubted my expertise. Since, I who’ve now been hired for 3 different jobs in my life and is now giving advice. I had to laugh, but co-workers asked me last week, how I finally managed to escape from this 24 hour pharmacy.  To be upfront there is no real secret to explain how I broke free. However, I decided to give 5 helpful hints anyway.

1)      Cover letter, they say you should tailor each letter to the job you are applying for.  I am not sure how much these letters count for, but I would recommend including them if possible just take the extra step.  I for one am very glad I will hopefully not have to write one of these for a long time.  I’m also glad I do not have to fill out another online application, where I have to take everything that is already in my resume and then put into this new form.

2)      Bother your friends, family, and casual acquaintances who have a job at a place you would enjoy working at.  No one should be safe, constantly stay on them about new job openings.  I know that many of my friends were happy to hear that I finally found a job and that a few were also glad that I would finally stop pestering them about job openings.    

3)      Send a “Thank You” letter after every interview.  This advice came from Ashley, who is reading What Color Is Your Parachute? : A Practical Manual for Job-Hunters and Career Changers by Richard N. Bolles.  Why would you thank someone who makes you list your strengths and weakness after knowing them for 5 minutes?  I guess to make a good impression and make sure they remember your name.

4)      Pursue other hobbies and dreams while on the hunt.  This may seem counter-productive, but when you have been searching for job for long period of time and meeting only rejection, it wears on your self-confidence.  I have spent hours complaining to Ashley about this frustration and the final decision is always out of your hands.  However, I was also complained to Ashley how I wanted to write more and this was not out of my hands.  Starting this blog a few months ago, forced me to take control of one of my dreams and actually be able to accomplish it.  

5)      The only true secret is to stay motivated and keep applying.  I took breaks at time to keep my sanity, but then I always had to start applying again.  Since, most likely no one is going to hire you for a job that you did not apply for.  One thing I would tell Ashley when we were feeling low about job prospects, is that I always had faith we would find a job, because I had found her.  Let me explain, in my early twenties I was frustrated with being single and not dating anyone really and worried I would never find a partner.  Then one night at Landmark when I was pursing lost cause, who should enter my life but Ashley and she changed everything.  So keep the faith and know you will find that job or loved one someday, but you need to keep putting yourself out there for the world.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment