Friday, January 30, 2015



GIRLS CHASE BOYS

I rarely watch music videos these days, mostly due to the fact that I have not had cable for about two years.  Even prior to that loss of cable, I only rarely would turn on MTV.  When I do catch music videos I am usually not too impressed by what I am watching. However, I saw this video "Girls Chase Boys" by Ingrid Michaelson and really enjoyed it.  Yes, I know this video came out about ten months ago and I just saw it for the first time a few weeks ago.  To repeat, I am very behind on pop culture things at times and I am no longer cool.

I had heard this song on the radio first and I enjoyed it.  My wife and I watched this video together. We are both kids from the 80's and could recognize from first sight that her video is homage to Robert Palmer's 1988 video "Simply Irresistible."   However, here Ingrid switches gender roles and she takes the role of Robert Palmer and instead of the hot brunette female models in the background we have male models. I enjoyed seeing Ingrid playing the more masculine role and nailing it, with her body language.   However, I was more interested in watching the male models. Not only are the male models wearing makeup, they are wearing tight pink tank tops and are dancing to the music.  The male models appear so feminine to me by just wearing makeup and how they are moving there bodies.

As the video goes on there appears a few female models in the same makeup and they start to dance with the male models.  It strange how both male and female bodies blend in together so much that I can almost not tell which is male and which is female.  This video makes me miss my gender studies courses I took in college.  Even the lyrics to this song are about "girls chasing boys," but we all know the original saying is that "boys chase girls."  I read that Ingrid, reported the lyrics are about how when it comes to love both girls and boys chase each other. 







No comments:

Post a Comment