Friday, April 3, 2015


 TOP FIVE FAVORITE KARAOKE PERFORMANCES

Ashley and I were talking about our favorite karaoke moments this morning and it inspired me to list my top five, in no particular order.  Please share your favorite karaoke memories.

1) SUPER TROUPER: ABBA
SUPER TROUPER
Back in November 2012, we had the final Making the Cut fundraiser for Ashley’s surgery.   We sold tickets for a catered dinner and a judged karaoke contest.  I decided to do something bold and sing a song by myself.  All of my previous karaoke performances I had always done in large groups.  I am not a great singer, but I decided on this ABBA song and did my best to memorizes the words.  I knew there was no hope to win the contest, but I am happy that it went okay and that I survived. 

2) LIKE A PRAYER: MADONNA
In 2002 my cousin, Niki, graduated from high school and at her graduation party there was a karaoke machine and some terrible performances occurred that evening.  One of those was when me and my four other girl cousins decided to sing this Madonna tune.   We had foolishly thought we knew the song and it was all under control, however, a few chorus in we all realized we did not really know the lyrics to this tune.  Luckily, there was beer at this event and it was just fun trying to sing along to the song with my cousins.


EASY LOVER

3) EASY LOVER: PHILLIP BAILEY AND PHIL COLLINS
Ever since I met Dixie and Josh whenever there is a karaoke going on they will perform this song together and they always do an amazing job.  Unlike my cousins and I they know all the words and do not even have to look at the lyrics on the TV screen.  Whenever, Cactus Club has karaoke all the performers are amazing, many of them are in bands and know what they are doing.  I will never sing solo at one of these events.  I did do Spice Girls “Wannabe” at Cactus, but there were at least 10 of us on that stage for the performance.


MR. ROBOTO
4) MR. ROBOTO: STYX
The winner of Making the Cut final fundraiser was Ehren, an old fried of Ashley’s she had not seen him in a few years.  I predict that part of the reason this dude showed up that night was to support Ashley, but the real reason was that he is a karaoke hustler.   Ehren knew all the words, but more importantly he knew how to put on a show.  He was doing the robot on stage and blowing minds with that performance.  

5) TWIST AND SHOUT: THE BEATLES
Two years after “Like a Prayer” massacre, my cousin, Chris, graduated from high school and yet another karaoke party.  At this event I brought my new boyfriend, Kyle, who met most of my extended family that night.  Kyle got up and sang this tune and everyone was so impressed and was considered one of two performances that night where the person knew how to sing and did the song well.  Family members still recall this performance and when I hear this song on the radio it makes me think of that moment and smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment